Thursday, March 4, 2021
12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
12:00 pm - 1:00 pm CST
Many Texas families aren’t aware they can request that their children attend public schools outside of their attendance zones. The last year has been disruptive in every facet of life, and nowhere more so than in education. Knowing their options can help many Texas families better manage in these troubled times. It’s not always easy, of course. A district can decide whether to accept an out-of-district student based on their test scores, for example. They can’t offer to come pick that student up at home without getting a waiver from the state. And, they may charge thousands of dollars in tuition. This process needs more transparency, and an easy transportation fix. Our experts will discuss the realities and the possibilities of crossing Texas school boundaries.
- Emily Sass (Moderator) – Policy Director, Next Generation Texas, Texas Public Policy Foundation
- Derrell Bradford (Panelist) – Executive Vice President, 50CAN
- Tim DeRoche (Panelist) – Author and President/Founder, DeRoche Consulting Group
- Luke Ragland (Panelist) – President, Ready Education Network
- Aaron Smith (Presenter) – Director of Education Reform, Reason Foundation
- Jordan Campbell (Presenter) – Quantitative Analyst, Reason Foundation
- Livestream Only
- Livestream + Complimentary Book – The first 150 people to register for this ticket will receive a complimentary mailed copy of Tim DeRoche’s book, “A Fine Line: How Most American Kids Are Kept Out of the Best Public Schools.” Please note, you must provide your mailing address during registration for this ticket to receive the book, and your contact information will be shared with the publisher so they can mail it to you.
*Please note this is co-sponsored event and your RSVP information may be shared with our partner organization(s). When you RSVP, you will receive more information on how to tune in, a reminder before our event is live, plus access to the video if you’re unable to watch in real time or want to share it with friends and neighbors.
The livestream can be viewed Thursday, March 4th at 12PM CST via the following links. Watch via YouTube to submit your questions during the live Q&A.