Panel I: Learning from Others: Pension Reform Efforts from Around the U.S.
An examination of pension reform efforts from around the nation to learn from the example of others.
- Leonard Gilroy, Reason Foundation
- Jonathan Small, Oklahoma Council of Public Affairs
- Ted Dabrowski, Illinois Policy Institute
- Marcia Fritz, President and founding board member, California Foundation for Fiscal Responsibility
- James Hohnman, Mackinac Center for Public Policy
- Moderated by Pete Constant, former San Jose Councilmember and current Executive Director of the Retirement Security Initiative
Keynote Lunch with The Honorable Chuck Reed, former mayor of San Jose
Panel II: Are Pension Problems Brewing in the Lone Star State?
An in-depth look into the policy landscape in Texas to determine what problems exist, if any, and the ideal solution(s) to put forward in the next legislative session.
- Representative Jim Murphy
- John Diamond, Rice University Kelly Fellow in Public Finance
- Tim Lee, Texas Retired Teachers Association
- Max Patterson, TEXPERS
- Moderated by Bill Hammond, Chief Executive Officer of the Texas Association of Business
Panel III: Keeping the Promise: Is it Time to Modernize Texas’ Pension Systems?
An exploration of the efforts to modernize Texas’ state and local retirement systems through transitioning from defined benefit system to a defined contribution model.
- Senator Paul Bettencourt
- Bill King, former Houston mayoral candidate
- Ronnie Jung, Texans for Secure Retirement
- Joe Arnall, former member of the Florida House of Representatives
- Keith Brainard, National Association of State Retirement Administrators
- Moderated by James Quintero, TPPF