With only six weeks of the regular legislative session left, it’s getting crunch time for lawmakers in search of cost-savings and efficiencies. To help remind lawmakers that there are still plenty of opportunities out there to cut spending, here is a quick list of ideas for Article III.
- Eliminate Regional Education Service Centers-Savings: $42.75 million;
- Eliminate the Pre-Kindergarten Grant program-Savings: $208.6 million;
- Reduce State Contribution to Teachers’ Pension Fund to Constitutional Minimum, 6 percent-Savings: $200 million;
- Reduce the scope, programs, and functions of the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board-Savings: $231.54 million;
- Reduce Higher Education Formula Funding and Special Items-Savings: $2.03 billion.
TOTAL: $2.7 billion
For details on the recommendations listed above or for more ideas on how to reform the budget as it relates to Health and Human Services, please see: Article III: Education.