AUSTIN –The Texas Public Policy Foundation’s Center for Economic Freedom will host the panel “Labor Unions in Texas: Fair and Balanced?” at the 14th Annual Policy Orientation for the Texas Legislature on Thursday, January 7, 2016 at 11:00 am CST at the Hilton Austin Hotel in Salon K.
“While everyone agrees that workers should be free to join labor unions, there is a question whether Texas and federal laws too often give unions power that they would not be able to exercise without government favoritism,” said Bill Peacock, vice president of research and director of the Center for Economic Freedom at the Texas Public Policy Foundation. “Our panel of experts will examine if Texas should make changes in order to keep unions as a legitimate option for workers without granting them special favors.”
- Senator Paul Bettencourt, Chairman, Select Committee on Property Tax Reform and Relief, Texas State Senate
- Rick Levy, Secretary-Treasurer, Texas AFL-CIO
- Annie Spilman, Legislative Director, National Federation of Independent Business – Texas
- Vincent Vernuccio, Director of Labor Policy, Mackinac Center for Public Policy
- Bill Peacock, Vice President of Research & Director, Center for Economic Freedom, Texas Public Policy Foundation (Moderator)
For over thirteen years, the Texas Public Policy Foundation’s Policy Orientation has been one of the nation’s top policy conferences, selling out each year while bringing together lawmakers, policy experts, and engaged citizens from across the political spectrum to discuss critical issues facing the Lone Star State and America. This year’s program includes more than 35 panel discussions and debates on the major issues affecting Texas’ future.
Members of the public and media who wish to attend may register and view the agenda at: www.PolicyOrientation.com
Keynote and plenary sessions will be livestreamed at: txpo.li/TPPFlive
Bill Peacock is vice president of research and director of the Center for Economic Freedom at the Texas Public Policy Foundation.
The Texas Public Policy Foundation is a non-profit, free-market research institute based in Austin, Texas.