AUSTIN – Texas Public Policy Foundation participated today in a media conference call urging Republican leaders to repeal and replace Obamacare. The call, hosted by ForAmerica, featured the following members, in addition to others:
- Chip Roy, Director of the Center for Tenth Amendment Action, TPPF
- Jim DeMint, Former U.S. Senator and Senior Adviser, Convention of States
- Ken Cuccinelli, President, Senate Conservatives Fund
- Jenny Beth Martin, President & Co-Founder, Tea Party Patriots
- Andy Roth, Vice President of Government Affairs, Club for Growth
- Ken Blackwell, Former Ohio Secretary of State
- Jason Pye, Director of Public Policy, FreedomWorks
- David Bozell, President, ForAmerica
- Arina Grossu, Director, Family Research Council
Summarizing his comments on the call, Chip Roy said:
"The Texas Public Public Policy Foundation’s engagement in Washington has been focused on getting Washington regulations out of the way," said Roy. "The current Senate bill fails to do that. Period. The Senate bill is a modification of Obamacare: it retains regulations, retains Medicaid expansion, retains subsidies… and would do nothing to reduce premiums.
"Some members of the chamber are trying. Senator Ted Cruz has a suggestion to, in essence, give Americans a safe space for lower premiums and affordable care, free from the Obamacare regulations strangling the market.
"Today’s suggestion by President Trump to fully repeal Obamacare and then fix our broken healthcare system is an indication he and his team are recognizing this. We should allow the competitive free market to work, and implement high-risk pools for those with pre-existing conditions.
"The Senate has the ability to fully repeal Obamacare and they need to stop misleading the American people by saying that they can’t."
For more information or to request an interview with Mr. Roy, please contact Alicia Pierce at [email protected] or 512-472-2700.
Chip Roy is the director of the Center for Tenth Amendment Action at Texas Public Policy Foundation.
The Texas Public Policy Foundation is a non-profit, free-market research institute based in Austin, Texas. The Texas Public Policy Foundation aims to advance a societal framework that effectively fosters human flourishing based upon cooperation and mutually beneficial exchange of ideas and speech.