Texas needs to update its water policies to ensure secure and dependable water supplies that will support a prosperous economy.
– Texas as a whole has plentiful water resources, but regional supply challenges must be addressed. Crafting sound water policy is complicated by ownership and insufficient infrastructure.
– Existing policies, particularly surface water restrictions, act to restrict statewide water development and distribution.
– Hill Country aquifer challenges reflect much of the statewide water issues.
– Promising options exist to develop additional water resources that will meet Texas’ water needs.
– Market-based solutions would benefit Texas’ needs for water and protect property rights.