While many have opinions on the right to keep and bear arms, few are knowledgeable about the history necessitating it.
- The Second Amendment is an individual right and can only be restricted in limited circumstances.
- This stems from a multi-century history of religious and class-based genocide extending hundreds of years prior to this country’s founding.
- The Texas Constitution is unambiguous in declaring the right to keep and bear arms as an individual right.
- Current case law rightly acknowledges the Second Amendment’s history and founding intent.
- However, the right to keep and bear arms is a natural right, irrespective of the text of the U.S. Constitution.