* Texas does not require any kind of vote during the normal course of annexation, and exempt annexations are allowed by statute for areas that meet certain requirements.
* The majority of states (28) allow for some kind of formal election process by those in an area to be annexed.
* Current statutory authority allows for annexations to occur in as little as 90 days with limited citizen participation and few checks or balances.
* Abolish the exempt annexation process for all but voluntary annexations by petition, and review the petition process to ensure that citizens of an area to be annexed are adequately protected against fast-track annexation of their property.
* Create a process by which residents of an area to be annexed may formally participate in the normal two-year annexation process, through a petition to hold an election on whether or not to become joined with the municipality.